a pep talk I also need myself

22:24



I’ve been struggling, really struggling to find the words here. Everyone seems to have said their piece about the craziness, while I’ve been sitting, day after day with my fingers at the keyboard, feeling so inadequate. Words are hard for me. Words are especially hard, right out of the gate when I’m still trying to process me. And because I’ve made this platform, a bit of a soapbox, if you will, the obligation to show up with something worthwhile is strong. So I write, delete, rearrange, erase, start over, leave it untouched, come back the next morning <<< repeat. Everything sounds depressing and insecure and messy.

On Insta the other day, I was listening to someone talk about how in this time, we need to be setting anchors and keeping our minds strong. And that really hit me because if there has been one thing I haven’t been doing this week is keeping my mind out of the emotional gutter. I have friends in other states who have been majorly affected by this craziness and hearing their stories (although good) comes with its own weight of guilt because I don’t have it that rough. . .yet.

I know a lot of people are struggling. Terribly struggling. I know you want to be sensitive to that. I know you want to spend hours on Twitter reading every story about every heartbreak. I want to read those stories too. Heck, I have been reading those stories. But no amount of social media browsing or Netflix binging is going to take away from the real and important work of keeping your mind safe and sane.

The big picture is that the world will still be around for a good, long while. But who knows how long this will take. And none of the emotion you’re tempted to wallow in is going to make living day to day any easier. People need you. People need you present. There’s a city outside your door that needs light and kindness and solidarity. The internet likes to show off its wilted grass, make you think that you should be doing something good somewhere else. Not true. You can’t control anything that you can’t reach. You certainly cannot reach into another state or country.

Take care of yourself and the people around you. It’s all you can do.

Remember the good things. Every morning you wake up healthy, with internet access, and food in the fridge is a good morning. Not everyone has that.

Yes, I’m exhausted. Yes, my mind hurts. Yes, the uncertainty and the disappointment sucks. But if there’s one thing I’ve learned in the past couple of years is that bad and good are not mutually exclusive. There can be disappointment in a good day. A bad day can still start out with sunlight in the windows.
Time will be bittersweet for a while, and it’s okay. . .it’s okay to feel both.

stay strong.
k.

. . .



How are you, friend?

If the comment box feels too public,
I take messages through Insta (@thiskeira)

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. All goosebump-y :) Thank you for sharing so beautifully and gently pointing me in the right direction <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow I’m honored. So happy it blessed you, Jeanette.

      Delete
  2. I love this, especially: "A bad day can still start out with sunlight in the windows." It's true, there is a heavy dose of bittersweet feelings going around right now. People are panicking. But I'm trying to lean into creating art that I wouldn't normally have the time to make right now. I hope that you have a peaceful weekend and can unplug from the stress and social media. Sending prayers! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much. I think it’s wonderful that we all have extra time to do the things we said we always wanted to do. I’m for sure am going be creating some stuff!

      Hope you’re doing well!!
      k.

      Delete
  3. It truly is a rough time for all of us in this season.. but as you said, it's good to acknowledge what we feel, it's also good to remind ourselves this is only temporary. Good things can still come out of bad days. Thank you for sharing with us :")

    Anna Jo | http://helloannajo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank YOU for reading. It is indeed rough but we can make it.

      cheers.
      k.

      Delete
  4. thank you so much for this post!! these past few days have been stressful, so little reminders like this are really beautiful. i really hope you're doing well, stay strong and healthy <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why thank you. I knew it would do me good to get the words off my chest, and now that they are it’s a good feeling. I am doing well, thanks for asking! Hope you are well.

      stay strong.
      k.

      Delete
  5. Your words always mean a little more than most. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I could say the same about your comments.

      Delete
  6. wowwowwow I love this so much. thank you for your words. I've given myself permission to stop browsing the news/social media, and it's so freeing for my spirit, like what this post has done for me. thank you <3

    Hanne || losingthebusyness.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO glad this encouraged you, Hanne. It makes my heart happy.

      I 100% agree. (I've spent an ungodly amount of time on social media lately, and I can feel it getting to me). Time to turn it off.

      thanks for making my day : )
      k.

      Delete
  7. wow. this is hits close to home. i've been feeling similarly about not having it as bad as some people. thank you for the kind reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO happy it blessed you, Gabi.

      stay strong.
      k.

      Delete